As most people do, especially when you have children, you set a routine for yourself. I have to do so just to stay sane on some days. Our daily routine usually consists of me picking up Anna from the babysitters and then going home to let her watch Sesame Street, one of the 5 Elmo movies she has, Dora the Explorer, or Go Diego Go. While she’s watching a show or two, I am usually getting dinner ready and cleaning up the kitchen from the night before.
Most days, I never stop to think about all the “benefits” of living in today’s world. There are all the “little” things we take for granted every day. But yesterday, I was able to stop and smell the roses. It was a brief time of reflection for me for all the great things that God has given us and to just stop and play. We had a rain storm yesterday. While it was not that powerful, our electricity went out for about an hour and a half. There was no Sesame Street, no Elmo, no Dora or Diego…just Anna and I playing together with all her toys and books. Toys that have been in the toy box for months that she hasn’t played with, she realized that “wow, those are really fun” and played them over and over again. It was nice and quiet and we had fun playing with toys, reading books, singing songs and sliding down the slide.
That’s my goal now for the next week…stop and smell the roses. Remember that while we do have a lot of benefits in this world, there are also the more simple things that we should reflect upon and thank God for. I thank God for my daughter, for our family, and for the roof over our heads during the rain.
And yet...
16 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment